with the Harry Appelman Quartet13 Jun 2018 Washington, Washington
DetailsTime : 7:30pm
Venue : Anacostia Playhouse
Address : 2020 Shannon Place SE
State : Washington
Zip : 20020
Phone : (202) 290-2328
Contact Website : http://www.eastriverjazz.net/
Harry Appelman’s Liberation Project Quartet
Selma, Soweto, Bethlehem: Jazz Reflections on Freedom Struggles
Led by pianist Harry Appelman, this ensemble will perform jazz interpretations of music associated with several struggles of liberation, including the US Civil Rights, South Africa’s Anti-Aparthied and Palestine Liberation Movements!
- USA civil rights struggle
- South Africa anti-apartheid movement
- The ongoing struggle of the Palestinian people for freedom and human rights.Specific music ideas:
- Civil Rights Era Songs & Spirituals, i.e. “We Shall Overcome”, “We Shall Not Be Moved”, “A Change is Gonna Come”, “Eyes on the Prize”
- South African Liberation Music: i.e. “Ishe Oluwa” (6/8) – drum feature, “Senzenina”, “Ukuthula” (Peace). Other music from Hugh Masekela (“Soweto Blues”?), Miriam Makeba, Letta Mbulu.
- Palestinian Music: “Mouwashshah Lamma Bada Yatathanna”, “Weyn A Ramallah” * Od Yavo Shalom Aleinu (Israeli peace song)
- Egypt-Themed Music – re: Arab Spring uprising. Todd has several compositions from his suite “Blues from Tahrir” that deal with this theme.
- The Blues – a way to maintain dignity and deal with adversity. We will give a brief historical context or significance for each piece. Ideally we would like to include some dialogue with the community – a chance to learn some of their stories and memories.